• Home
  • News
  • Government
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • About Federal Character
  • Advertise With Us
Federal Character
No Result
View All Result
Federal Character
  • Home
  • News
  • Government
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • About Federal Character
  • Advertise With Us
No Result
View All Result
Federal Character
No Result
View All Result
Home Government
EU Leaders Rally Behind ICC After Fresh US Sanctions Over Israel Probes

EU Leaders Rally Behind ICC After Fresh US Sanctions Over Israel Probes

Somto NwanoluebySomto Nwanolue
23 minutes ago
in Government
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
0
Facebook ShareWhatsapp ShareX Share

EU leaders have thrown their support behind the International Criminal Court after US Secretary of State Marco Rubio announced new sanctions on senior figures investigating alleged Israeli war crimes in Gaza.

The presidents of the European Commission and Council, Ursula von der Leyen and António Costa, issued a joint statement backing the Hague-based court. “The ICC helps deliver justice to the victims of some of the world’s most horrific crimes,” they said. “To carry out this essential work, its judges and officials must be able to act independently and without external pressure.”

On Tuesday, Rubio announced the US would sanction ICC President Tomoko Akane of Japan and senior lawyer Abdoulaye Seye of Senegal, who was tasked with probing alleged war crimes committed by Israel in Gaza.

Table of Contents

Toggle
  • The US Position
  • European Backlash
  • The Broader Context
  • Call for Stronger Action
  • The Bottom Line

The US Position

Rubio described the court as a “corrupt and fatally politicised supranational court that has maliciously abused its authority and exceeded its mandate,” adding that the US would “not tolerate its assault on state sovereignty.”

EU Leaders Rally Behind ICC After Fresh US Sanctions Over Israel Probes

He alleged that both officials had engaged in efforts to “prosecute officials whose government has not consented to ICC jurisdiction.” Neither Israel nor the US are member states of the ICC. Palestine has been a member since 2015, allowing the court to examine crimes allegedly committed on its territory.

European Backlash

The Netherlands scathingly criticised the US move, with Foreign Minister Tom Berendsen saying his government “disapproves” of the sanctions. A German government spokesperson said Berlin stands by the ICC, adding that the court “has held accountable those guilty of the gravest crimes” and is “fulfilling its mandate exactly as intended.”

The ICC has described the sanctions as a “flagrant attack” on the court’s independence.

The Broader Context

The Tuesday sanctions are the latest in a series of attempts by the Trump administration to discredit the Hague-based institution. The US has already sanctioned as many as 11 top court officials, including its former chief prosecutor Karim Khan. Rubio has previously spoken of the US’s wish to “dismantle” the court “brick by brick” and has urged member states to withdraw from the court’s Rome Statute.

Venezuela and Chad recently announced they would pull out. The previous Hungarian government also announced its intention to leave before the decision was revoked following a new prime minister’s election.

All 27 EU member states are ICC member states. Yet, the court’s arrest warrant for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu continues to draw mixed reactions from European officials, with countries including France, Germany, and Italy refusing to commit publicly to enforcing the warrant.

Call for Stronger Action

Some senior MEPs called on the EU to go further in its condemnation. The president of the Socialists and Democrats group, Iratze García, urged the bloc to activate the Blocking Statute, a legal shield that would make it illegal for EU-based companies and banks to comply with US sanctions.

US sanctions have had a profound impact on the daily lives of ICC judges. French judge Nicolas Guillou told Euronews earlier this year that the lack of European alternatives for crucial services meant the restrictions he faced would be similar to “true civil death” for a younger European.

The Bottom Line

EU leaders have rallied behind the ICC after the US sanctioned two top officials investigating alleged Israeli war crimes in Gaza. The EU’s top executives said judges must be able to act independently. The US described the court as “corrupt and politicised.” The Netherlands and Germany criticized the move. Some MEPs are urging the EU to activate a legal shield against US sanctions. All 27 EU members are ICC signatories.

Tags: EUfederal characterForeign NewsgovernmentICCIsrael ProbesNewsUS sanctions
Share234SendTweet146
Somto Nwanolue

Somto Nwanolue

Somto Nwanolue is a news writer with a keen eye for spotting trending news and crafting engaging stories. Her interests includes beauty, lifestyle and fashion. Her life’s passion is to bring information to the right audience in written medium

Related Stories

Russia's Request To Review Biathlon Ban Shot Down By IBU

Russia’s Request To Review Biathlon Ban Shot Down By IBU

byHashim Kolawole
0

Russia has not yet won its bid to have the International Biathlon Union's ban on its athletes reconsidered, after the governing body announced plans to review the suspension...

Bullet Engraving Points To Political Motive In Charlie Kirk Killing — Prosecutors

Bullet Engraving Points To Political Motive In Charlie Kirk Killing — Prosecutors

byAyobami Owolabi
0

Prosecutors seeking the death penalty against Tyler Robinson in the killing of US conservative activist Charlie Kirk have pointed to an inscription on a bullet they say indicates...

Trump Faces Lawsuit Over Visa Restrictions Targeting Foreign Students, Journalists

Trump Faces Lawsuit Over Visa Restrictions Targeting Foreign Students, Journalists

byAyobami Owolabi
0

A coalition of unions and advocacy organisations has sued the Trump administration in an attempt to stop new visa rules that would place stricter limits on how long...

US Quietly Deporting Mexican Migrants to Guatemala, Honduras – Angering Mexico

US Quietly Deporting Mexican Migrants to Guatemala, Honduras – Angering Mexico

bySomto Nwanolue
0

The Trump administration has been quietly deporting migrants from Mexico to different countries in Central America despite the Mexican government's willingness to accept the return of all its...

Next Post
Google to Move Pixel Production Out of China to India, Vietnam by 2027

Google to Move Pixel Production Out of China to India, Vietnam by 2027

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Federal Character

We bring to you precise and factual news.
Towson, Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Recent Posts

  • Darline Graham Debate Disaster: GOP Rookie Flops
  • Israel Pulls Endorsement From Infantino Ahead of FIFA Presidential Election
  • Russia’s Request To Review Biathlon Ban Shot Down By IBU

Categories

  • Beauty
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion & Lifestyle
  • Food & Nutrition
  • Government
  • Health
  • News
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Tech

Weekly Newsletter

  • Home
  • About Federal Character
  • Advertise With Us
  • Cookie Policy
  • Sitemap

Copyright © FederalCharacter.com 2026 .

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Government
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • About Federal Character
  • Advertise With Us

Copyright © FederalCharacter.com 2026 .