• Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
  • Fashion & Lifestyle
  • Food & Nutrition
  • Health
Federal Character
No Result
View All Result
Federal Character
  • Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
  • Fashion & Lifestyle
  • Food & Nutrition
  • Health
No Result
View All Result
Federal Character
No Result
View All Result
Bezos Defends Staff Cuts At Washington Post Despite Billionaire Status

Bezos Defends Staff Cuts At Washington Post Despite Billionaire Status

Ayobami OwolabibyAyobami Owolabi
30 minutes ago
in Business & Finance
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
0
Facebook ShareWhatsapp ShareX Share

Jeff Bezos has defended the major layoffs carried out at The Washington Post earlier this year, insisting the newspaper must remain financially sustainable despite his personal wealth.

The cuts affected several sections of the publication, including sports, metro, books, foreign correspondence and photojournalism, drawing criticism from media observers and readers.

Speaking during an interview with CNBC’s Andrew Ross Sorkin on Wednesday, Bezos responded to concerns over why he chose not to personally fund the struggling newspaper.

“The Post needs to be a profitable enterprise that stands on its own two feet,” Bezos said.

When asked why the paper could not simply operate as a public trust backed by his fortune, the billionaire argued that profitability reflects whether readers still value the product.

Bezos Defends Staff Cuts At Washington Post Despite Billionaire Status

“Let me tell you why. It’s a measure of its relevance. If people won’t pay for our product, it’s not a good enough product,” he stated.

“It would be like poetry without rhyming. It’s too easy. So, it’s got to be something that people will pay for, because that’s a signal. It’s a signal that we’re providing a relevant service.”

Bezos also pointed to the financial success of The New York Times as proof that quality journalism can still generate strong revenue.

“You guys are doing very well financially, and you’re providing a service that people are willing to pay for. We can do that, too,” he told Sorkin, who also writes for the newspaper.

The Amazon founder revealed that he instructed management to rely on performance data while deciding where layoffs would happen, although he excluded investigative reporting from the cuts.

“And guess what I told them when we were planning those layoffs. I didn’t pick who was going to get laid off or which departments. I said, ‘Follow the data,’” Bezos explained.

“I said there is one exception to this… don’t follow the data on investigative reporting.”

According to him, investigative journalism remains central to the newspaper’s identity.

“Our newsroom today, after the layoffs, is still larger than when we did Watergate and the Pentagon Papers,” he said.

“The Post is going to continue to be an important institution, in fact, it’s going to be a more important institution because of this financial discipline.”

Bezos also highlighted the newspaper’s recent Pulitzer Prize for Public Service, awarded for coverage of the administration of Donald Trump.

“It needs to be relevant to readers, it needs to stand on its own two feet,” he added.

During the conversation, Sorkin questioned whether Bezos still wanted to own the publication, given his involvement in several other businesses.

Responding, Bezos recalled buying the newspaper in 2013 when it was already struggling financially.

“When I bought The Post, it was very unprofitable when I brought it. The newsroom was even smaller than it is today,” he said.

“We turned it around in two years, it was profitable for six years. I put all that money back in The Post and grew the newsroom, so we’ve shrunk it back some now.”

Bezos acknowledged that the media industry has changed significantly over the years and said the newspaper failed to adapt quickly enough to new realities.

The billionaire purchased The Washington Post for $250 million in 2013. While the paper experienced major growth during Trump’s first administration, it has faced declining subscriptions and multiple rounds of layoffs in recent years.

Tags: BezosBillionaire Statusfederal characterNewsStaff CutsWashington Post
Share234SendTweet146
Ayobami Owolabi

Ayobami Owolabi

Owolabi Ayobami is an emerging entertainment journalist, dedicated to delivering the latest scoop on Nollywood, music, and celebrity culture. With a keen eye for detail and a passion for storytelling, he brings fresh insights and perspectives to the entertainment beat.

Related Stories

Waymo Pauses Services After Vehicles Get Stuck, Freeway Software Issues

Waymo Pauses Services After Vehicles Get Stuck, Freeway Software Issues

bySomto Nwanolue
0

First, heavy rain turned one of its robotaxis into a stationary obstacle. Then, reports emerged of another blasting through construction cones on a freeway before being chased by...

Spotify, Universal Music Partner On AI-Generated Song Covers, Remixes

Spotify, Universal Music Partner On AI-Generated Song Covers, Remixes

byAyobami Owolabi
0

Spotify has announced a new partnership with Universal Music Group aimed at allowing users to create AI-generated covers and remixes of popular songs. The feature, unveiled on Thursday,...

Bezos Wants to Eliminate Income Tax for 50% of Americans

Bezos Wants to Eliminate Income Tax for 50% of Americans

bySomto Nwanolue
0

The world's second-richest man has a proposal for the rest of America: stop taxing the bottom half of earners entirely. Jeff Bezos, speaking from Blue Origin's rocket factory...

Walmart Considers Price Cuts With Tariff Refunds As Shoppers Feel Fuel Pressure

Walmart Considers Price Cuts With Tariff Refunds As Shoppers Feel Fuel Pressure

byAyobami Owolabi
0

Walmart says it may channel tariff refunds into lowering prices for customers as company executives warn that many shoppers are increasingly struggling with rising fuel costs. Speaking during...

Next Post
Residents and officials in Baltimore are questioning why the city has failed to recover millions of dollars in unpaid parking and traffic violation fines

Unpaid Parking Tickets Could Cost Baltimore Hundreds Of Millions — Report

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

We bring to you precise and factual news

Recent Posts

  • Waymo Pauses Services After Vehicles Get Stuck, Freeway Software Issues
  • Dutch Royal Family Confirm Attendance for 2026 World Cup Matches in the United States
  • Donald Trump’s little-known soccer past comes to light before the 2026 World Cup

Categories

  • Beauty
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion & Lifestyle
  • Food & Nutrition
  • Government
  • Health
  • News
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Tech

Weekly Newsletter

  • About
  • Advertise With Us
  • Cookie Policy

Copyright © FederalCharacter.com 2026 .

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
  • Fashion & Lifestyle
  • Food & Nutrition
  • Health

Copyright © FederalCharacter.com 2026 .