Donald Trump has announced that the United States will deploy an additional 5,000 troops to Poland, marking a sharp shift in recent Pentagon signals suggesting a reduction in American military presence across Europe.
The announcement came on Thursday, just days after Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth halted a planned troop rotation that would have sent a combat unit to Poland. The move had been linked to frustration within the administration over what officials described as insufficient European defence contributions.
It also follows Trump’s earlier decision to withdraw 5,000 troops from Germany, a move that sparked tensions with European allies and criticism from German Chancellor Friedrich Merz.

Explaining the new deployment, Trump tied the decision to his relationship with Poland’s leadership.
“Based on the successful Election of the now President of Poland, Karol Nawrocki, who I was proud to endorse, and our relationship with him, I am pleased to announce that the United States will be sending an additional 5,000 Troops to Poland,” he posted.
However, it remains unclear where the additional troops will be drawn from or how the decision affects overall US force levels in Europe.
Polish officials appeared to downplay any major change in troop numbers, suggesting the announcement would maintain existing levels rather than significantly expand them.
Poland’s foreign minister, Radosław Sikorski, thanked Trump for what he described as reassurance on US military presence.
“All’s well that ends well,” he told reporters ahead of a NATO meeting.
Defence Minister Władysław Kosiniak-Kamysz also indicated that Poland was not losing personnel, stating that the country would retain around 10,000 US troops already stationed there.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, attending a NATO foreign ministers’ meeting, said any troop adjustments are part of broader strategic planning.
“Any troop movement is not a punitive thing,” Rubio said. “It’s just something that’s ongoing.”
He added that NATO cooperation requires clearer expectations among allies, especially regarding defence spending and military capacity.
NATO Secretary-General Mark Rutte welcomed the announcement, noting that the alliance is moving toward greater shared responsibility.
Poland has remained a key NATO member and a central hub for Western military support to Ukraine since Russia’s invasion in 2022. The United States established the US Army Garrison Poland in 2023, further strengthening its military footprint in the country.
Meanwhile, recent Pentagon decisions to cancel or delay troop deployments across Europe have sparked criticism among some US lawmakers, who argued that allies were not properly consulted.
Republican Rep. Don Bacon described the cancellation of earlier deployments as damaging to US credibility, calling it “reprehensible” and “an embarrassment to our country.”





