A federal judge has sentenced Aimee Bock to nearly 42 years in prison after finding her guilty of orchestrating what prosecutors described as the largest pandemic-related fraud in the United States.
The ruling, delivered on Thursday, stems from a $250 million scheme tied to federal child nutrition programmes during the Covid-19 pandemic. Prosecutors said the operation diverted funds meant to feed vulnerable children into a large-scale fraud network involving fake claims and kickbacks.
Authorities had initially pushed for a 50-year sentence, arguing that Bock’s actions — which included conspiracy, wire fraud and bribery — caused severe and lasting damage to public trust and federal welfare systems.
“I understand I failed. I failed the public, my family, everyone,” Bock said in court.
She added: “I don’t have the words to express just how horrible I feel … I know I’m responsible. It’s never been my goal to shift responsibility. I understand I failed to protect the program I was supposed to protect,” CBS reports.
Prosecutors described the organisation as a fraudulent pipeline that exploited government funding on a massive scale.

“Feeding Our Future operated like a cash pipeline, open to anyone willing to submit fraudulent claims and pay kickbacks,” prosecutors said in a filing. “The ripple effects of her actions are profound, immeasurable, and will have lasting consequences for both Minnesota and the nation.”
Bock was convicted last year on multiple counts, including conspiracy, wire fraud and bribery, though she has consistently maintained her innocence.
In a 2022 interview with the Minnesota Star Tribune, she defended her actions, framing the case as politically motivated.
“I believe that this is an attack on a community … I believe this is punishment for going against the grain. And I think it is punishment for holding a state agency accountable,” she said.
“I do not believe that Feeding Our Future has submitted an invalid claim,” she added.
Her defence lawyer, Kenneth Udoibok, asked the court for leniency, arguing that she had cooperated with investigators and did not fully intend the scale of fraud alleged.
He described her conduct as “a case of gross negligence”, saying: “I’m not saying she’s not taking responsibility … What I’m saying is – if I can project the court to what Ms Bock intended to do for this group of people – in her mind, she thought she was giving them access to being good citizens and being in this program.”
However, prosecutors insisted Bock played a central leadership role in the scheme.
“During Thursday’s sentencing, Rebecca Kline, assistant US attorney for the district of Minnesota, said Bock ‘didn’t participate in fraud, she orchestrated it, profited from it’,” CBS reported.
Kline added that Bock acted as a “gatekeeper” and played a key role in structuring the operation.
The Feeding Our Future scandal has led to dozens of convictions linked to fraudulent food distribution claims, many involving fake meal sites and inflated child feeding records. Several cases have been tied to wider fraud investigations across Minnesota’s social service systems.
Authorities say additional charges have since been filed in related cases involving childcare centres and Medicaid fraud schemes, as investigations continue into wider misuse of public funds.
US Attorney Daniel Rosen said the case is part of a broader crackdown on systemic fraud.
“While that fraud in and of itself was breathtaking, the truth is Feeding Our Future is only a start, and we believe it’s only a small fraction of the fraud that is actually ongoing here in the state of Minnesota,” he said.
He also pledged continued enforcement efforts against similar schemes, saying prosecutors would intensify investigations and pursue more convictions in the state.
Meanwhile, former President Donald Trump had previously criticised Minnesota’s handling of fraud-related welfare programmes, accusing the state of widespread misuse of federal funds.





