• Home
  • News
  • Government
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • About Federal Character
  • Advertise With Us
Federal Character
No Result
View All Result
Federal Character
  • Home
  • News
  • Government
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • About Federal Character
  • Advertise With Us
No Result
View All Result
Federal Character
No Result
View All Result
Home Business & Finance
US Strategic Oil Reserves Plunge As Experts Warn Storage Caverns Could Be Damaged

US Strategic Oil Reserves Plunge As Experts Warn Storage Caverns Could Be Damaged

Ayobami OwolabibyAyobami Owolabi
5 minutes ago
in Business & Finance
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
0
Facebook ShareWhatsapp ShareX Share

The United States’ Strategic Petroleum Reserve (SPR) has fallen to its lowest level in about four decades, raising concerns among some energy experts about the condition of the underground facilities that store the emergency oil supply.

Data from the Department of Energy shows that the reserve dropped below 300 million barrels last week for the first time since the 1980s. The stockpile could decline further to about 243 million barrels as the US releases roughly 172 million barrels in response to major supply disruptions and higher energy costs linked to the Iran war.

The SPR is stored in 60 underground salt caverns located at four sites across Texas and Louisiana. Together, the facilities can hold up to 714 million barrels of crude oil.

Some energy specialists have warned that drawing the reserves down too far could place additional stress on the caverns.

Amos Hochstein, a senior energy adviser to former President Joe Biden, questioned whether the reserve could safely fall much further.

US Strategic Oil Reserves Plunge As Experts Warn Storage Caverns Could Be Damaged

“I don’t know anyone who believes we can go below 300,” Hochstein told CNBC on Saturday.

He added, “I know plenty of people who think we can’t get near 300 because physically you will damage the caverns where the oil is stored.”

The Department of Energy, however, rejected the suggestion that lower oil levels would threaten the caverns.

Ben Dietderich, the department’s chief spokesperson, said the underground storage sites remain filled, with water replacing some of the oil as crude is withdrawn.

“The caverns are always full. All that changes is the ratio of oil and water that is filling them,” Dietderich said in a statement.

He added that President Donald Trump and Energy Secretary Chris Wright were “responsibly managing the SPR as the critical national security asset it was designed to be, helping stabilize oil markets and protect Americans from supply disruptions.”

The condition of the reserve has also become a political issue in Washington, with both Republicans and Democrats debating how quickly the SPR should be restored.

In 2025, Wright told a House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee hearing that efforts to rebuild the reserve were being complicated by more than $100 million in required repairs.

Wright attributed some of the infrastructure problems to the rapid withdrawal of crude under the Biden administration, when nearly 200 million barrels were sold in 2022 and 2023 as the government sought to ease pressure on global oil prices following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

“The immediate thing we need to do is finish the repairs on the Strategic Petroleum Reserve,” Wright said at the time.

“It was drawn down so quickly, and that causes some damage to the infrastructure itself. Those repairs are ongoing, and it costs a nontrivial amount of money to repair the SPR,” he added.

The latest drawdown has renewed the debate over how far the US can safely reduce its emergency oil stockpile while maintaining the long-term integrity of the facilities.

Tags: Businessfederal characterForeign NewsNewsOil reservesStorage CavernsUS
Share234SendTweet146
Ayobami Owolabi

Ayobami Owolabi

Owolabi Ayobami is an emerging entertainment journalist, dedicated to delivering the latest scoop on Nollywood, music, and celebrity culture. With a keen eye for detail and a passion for storytelling, he brings fresh insights and perspectives to the entertainment beat.

Related Stories

Paramount Seeks $1.9B Bond From States Fighting Warner Bros. Merger

Paramount Seeks $1.9B Bond From States Fighting Warner Bros. Merger

bySomto Nwanolue
0

Paramount wants the states that are suing over the Warner Bros. Discovery deal to post a $1.9 billion bond. The states are scoffing at the idea. "They don't...

Google Secures Spirit Airlines Emails, Chats, Documents In Bankruptcy Auction

Google Secures Spirit Airlines Emails, Chats, Documents In Bankruptcy Auction

byAyobami Owolabi
0

Google has emerged as the successful bidder for a substantial collection of Spirit Airlines’ internal data and software, offering $10 million for assets it intends to use for...

Canada Braces For Trump’s Proposed 50% Tariffs As Aug. 19 Deadline Nears

Canada Braces For Trump’s Proposed 50% Tariffs As Aug. 19 Deadline Nears

byAyobami Owolabi
0

Canadian businesses and consumers are watching closely as the August 19 deadline approaches for US President Donald Trump’s proposed 50% tariffs on a range of Canadian goods and...

Consumer Reports Urges Maryland Regulators To Reject BGE’s $156m Rate Hike

Consumer Reports Urges Maryland Regulators To Reject BGE’s $156m Rate Hike

byAyobami Owolabi
0

Consumer Reports has launched a campaign calling on the Maryland Public Service Commission to reject Baltimore Gas and Electric’s proposed $156 million rate increase, warning that the plan...

Next Post
BBNaija: Meet Housemates Who Voluntarily Quit The Reality Show

BBNaija: Meet Housemates Who Voluntarily Quit The Reality Show

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Federal Character

We bring to you precise and factual news.
Towson, Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Recent Posts

  • BBNaija: Meet Housemates Who Voluntarily Quit The Reality Show
  • US Strategic Oil Reserves Plunge As Experts Warn Storage Caverns Could Be Damaged
  • Harvard, NYU Among 30 US Universities Under Pentagon Foreign-Tie Review

Categories

  • Beauty
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion & Lifestyle
  • Food & Nutrition
  • Government
  • Health
  • News
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Tech

Weekly Newsletter

  • Home
  • About Federal Character
  • Advertise With Us
  • Cookie Policy
  • Sitemap

Copyright © FederalCharacter.com 2026 .

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Government
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • About Federal Character
  • Advertise With Us

Copyright © FederalCharacter.com 2026 .