• Home
  • News
  • Government
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • About Federal Character
  • Advertise With Us
Federal Character
No Result
View All Result
Federal Character
  • Home
  • News
  • Government
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • About Federal Character
  • Advertise With Us
No Result
View All Result
Federal Character
No Result
View All Result
Home Government
ICE Official Faces Contempt Ruling Over Baltimore-Area Arrest Despite Court Orders

ICE Official Faces Contempt Ruling Over Baltimore-Area Arrest Despite Court Orders

Ayobami OwolabibyAyobami Owolabi
3 minutes ago
in Government
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
0
Facebook ShareWhatsapp ShareX Share

A federal judge has found a senior Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) official in civil contempt after ruling that he ordered the rearrest of a Maryland resident despite existing court orders directing the man’s release.

US District Judge John deGravelles ruled Wednesday that Vernon Liggins, who was serving as deputy director of ICE’s Baltimore field office when the incident occurred, committed a “clear violation” of two earlier court orders when agents arrested Ibrahim Mohammed at his home on July 28.

The judge also awarded Mohammed, an Ethiopian national, modest compensation as well as attorneys’ fees. Mohammed has spent much of the past 13 months moving in and out of ICE custody.

DeGravelles warned that stronger penalties could follow if his orders continue to be disregarded.

The ruling represents another confrontation between the federal judiciary and President Donald Trump’s administration over its immigration enforcement policies, particularly the detention and deportation of migrants who cannot legally be returned to their countries of origin.

ICE Official Faces Contempt Ruling Over Baltimore-Area Arrest Despite Court Orders

“Today’s decision makes it clear that ICE, like all law enforcement agencies, must follow the law,” Mohammed’s attorney, Bridget Pranzatelli, said.

“Though Mr. Mohammed will never get back the time he lost to repeated, unlawful detentions, the compensation the court ordered today is important recognition of the very real harm he suffered,” she added.

Mohammed’s legal battle began after ICE detained him last year and held him for months at a maximum-security Louisiana prison that has an agreement with the agency.

Mohammed and three other detainees subsequently filed a habeas corpus petition challenging the legality of their detention.

On February 6, DeGravelles ordered their release, ruling that ICE had violated their constitutional rights by keeping them detained without a clear and workable plan to deport them.

The Department of Homeland Security criticised the decision at the time, pointing to the criminal histories of the detainees.

However, the judge said ICE was required to follow its established procedures regardless of whether the individuals had criminal convictions.

Mohammed was convicted in Prince George’s County, Maryland, in 2017 of sexually abusing a child who lived in his home. He served a jail sentence before entering deportation proceedings.

An immigration judge later determined that Mohammed was likely to face persecution or torture if returned to Ethiopia, preventing his deportation there.

ICE subsequently tried unsuccessfully to identify another country willing to accept him. The agency eventually released him under a supervision order after determining that he did not pose a threat to public safety.

DeGravelles ruled in February that ICE had failed to properly notify Mohammed that the supervision arrangement was being revoked before arresting him.

The judge ordered the agency to release him and follow the appropriate procedure by reopening his case before an immigration judge before attempting to deport him to a third country.

During testimony on August 5, Liggins acknowledged that he instructed agents to arrest Mohammed on July 28 because officials intended to reopen his immigration case.

Liggins also conceded that detention was not legally required to reopen the case. He argued, however, that cases generally progressed more quickly when the person involved was already in custody and maintained that Mohammed’s criminal record justified his detention.

The contempt ruling comes amid a growing number of disputes between federal judges and immigration authorities over alleged violations of court orders.

Federal judges have previously found ICE or DHS in contempt, although the decision against an individual field office director appears to be unusual.

Earlier this month, a California judge held DHS in contempt over its failure to provide evidence in litigation concerning immigration raids in Los Angeles in 2025.

A Maryland judge also found the department in contempt over the deportation of more than 50 children who had pending asylum applications.

In Minnesota, meanwhile, a judge warned ICE that it could face contempt proceedings for failing to promptly return personal belongings to people released from immigration custody.

Tags: BaltimoreCourt Ordersfederal characterForeign NewsgovernmentICE OfficialNews
Share234SendTweet146
Ayobami Owolabi

Ayobami Owolabi

Owolabi Ayobami is an emerging entertainment journalist, dedicated to delivering the latest scoop on Nollywood, music, and celebrity culture. With a keen eye for detail and a passion for storytelling, he brings fresh insights and perspectives to the entertainment beat.

Related Stories

Mali Turns To Putin As Russia Reinforces Security Partnership Amid Sahel Crisis

Mali Turns To Putin As Russia Reinforces Security Partnership Amid Sahel Crisis

byAyobami Owolabi
0

Mali’s military-led government is strengthening its relationship with Russia as its ties with Western countries continue to weaken following the withdrawal of French forces and the collapse of...

New Trump Guidance Increases Scrutiny on Green Card Applications

New Trump Guidance Increases Scrutiny on Green Card Applications

byEriki Joan Ugunushe
0

The federal government has issued new rules that increase scrutiny on green card applications, giving immigration officers wide freedom to deny permanent residency to individuals deemed likely to...

UK and Allies Condemn Israel's E1 Expansion

UK and Allies Condemn Israel’s E1 Expansion

byEriki Joan Ugunushe
0

The international community expressed strong outrage after the UK and allies condemned Israel's E1 expansion, warning that building more housing units in the occupied West Bank threatens to...

Pakistan Seeks $10B US Facility to Boost Foreign Exchange Reserves

Pakistan Seeks $10B US Facility to Boost Foreign Exchange Reserves

bySomto Nwanolue
0

Facing pressure on external payments, Pakistan has approached the United States for a $10 billion facility to bolster its foreign exchange reserves, Finance Minister Muhammad Aurangzeb said. The...

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Federal Character

We bring to you precise and factual news.
Towson, Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Recent Posts

  • ICE Official Faces Contempt Ruling Over Baltimore-Area Arrest Despite Court Orders
  • Mali Turns To Putin As Russia Reinforces Security Partnership Amid Sahel Crisis
  • ​Rick Jackson Facing Immigration Scandal in Georgia Governor Race

Categories

  • Beauty
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion & Lifestyle
  • Food & Nutrition
  • Government
  • Health
  • News
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Tech

Weekly Newsletter

  • Home
  • About Federal Character
  • Advertise With Us
  • Cookie Policy
  • Sitemap

Copyright © FederalCharacter.com 2026 .

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Government
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • About Federal Character
  • Advertise With Us

Copyright © FederalCharacter.com 2026 .