• Home
  • News
  • Government
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • About Federal Character
  • Advertise With Us
Federal Character
No Result
View All Result
Federal Character
  • Home
  • News
  • Government
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • About Federal Character
  • Advertise With Us
No Result
View All Result
Federal Character
No Result
View All Result
Home Government
​Court Restricts BBC Defense Strategy in $10 Billion Legal Battle

BBC Seeks Subpoenas for Ivanka, Kushner, Don Jr. in Trump Defamation Suit

Somto NwanoluebySomto Nwanolue
46 minutes ago
in Government
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
0
Facebook ShareWhatsapp ShareX Share

The BBC has asked a Florida court to subpoena members of President Trump’s family as part of the British public broadcaster’s legal defense against Mr. Trump’s $10 billion defamation lawsuit, according to a court filing released Friday.

The BBC’s legal team asked the US District Court in the Southern District of Florida for “authorization to serve third parties Donald Trump, Jr., Ivanka Trump, and Jared Kushner,” with subpoenas that would compel the three to provide testimony and documentation regarding events on Jan. 6, 2021, during the assault on the US Capitol by the president’s supporters.

“The Third Parties have personal knowledge and likely have possession, custody, or control of records relevant to multiple elements of Plaintiff’s claims against the BBC,” the network’s legal team argued in the court filing.

Table of Contents

Toggle
  • The Defamation Case
  • The Subpoena Attempts
  • Why the Family Members Matter
  • The Response
  • The Bottom Line

The Defamation Case

In December, Mr. Trump filed his lawsuit accusing the BBC of defamation, as well as deceptive and unfair trade practices. The suit focuses on the way a 2024 BBC Panorama documentary edited a speech delivered by Mr. Trump in Washington prior to protesters attacking the Capitol.

President Trump’s legal team has argued the BBC “intentionally and maliciously sought to fully mislead its viewers” by “splicing together” two clips of the same speech. Mr. Trump’s attorneys have argued that the BBC sought to make it seem like the president had explicitly called for violence and rioting during the speech.

Mr. Trump’s legal team has said the two clips in question were 55 minutes apart, and that the BBC’s edit omitted a “statement calling for peace” in the president’s speech.

The BBC publicly apologized for the edit last year, saying the video had given “the mistaken impression that President Trump had made a direct call for violent action.” The network said it would not show the 2024 program again, but it has argued since Mr. Trump filed his lawsuit that the video was not legitimate grounds for a defamation claim.

The Subpoena Attempts

The new court documents show the BBC did attempt to issue subpoenas for two of Mr. Trump’s children and the president’s son-in-law in May, but that it had been unable to do so.

In one instance, the BBC sought to serve subpoenas to Ivanka Trump and her husband Jared Kushner at their Florida home, but the network’s representatives were prevented from doing so by local law enforcement officers. The BBC was later informed by the Secret Service that the agency could not accept the subpoenas on behalf of the couple.

In a separate case, a BBC representative attempted to serve a subpoena to Donald Trump Jr. at Trump Tower in New York, but was told by the concierge that the person who normally took such documents may have been at lunch. During another attempt two days later, the BBC representative was told the “legal department” was not in that day.

Why the Family Members Matter

In its appeal to the court to authorize the subpoenas, the BBC has argued that Mr. Trump’s family members are material witnesses to the president’s actions on January 6. The BBC’s attorneys cite documents released by the US Congress that show both Donald Trump Jr. and Ivanka Trump were present in the Oval Office when Mr. Trump was still revising his speech that day.

They also pointed to congressional documents that show Kushner had drafted a statement for the president condemning the violence that broke out after his speech, as well as records that show that Donald Trump Jr. spoke directly with his father after rioters stormed the Capitol.

The Response

A spokesman for Mr. Trump’s legal team accused the BBC of “seeking to harass him [President Trump], his family, and supporters by abusing the deposition process.” “The BBC is simply trying to distract away from their own obvious liability,” the statement said.

The court has given Mr. Trump’s lawyers until Friday to respond to the filing.

The Bottom Line

The BBC has asked a Florida court to authorize subpoenas for Donald Trump Jr., Ivanka Trump, and Jared Kushner in President Trump’s $10 billion defamation lawsuit against the British broadcaster. The BBC argues the family members have personal knowledge of events on Jan. 6, 2021, when Trump supporters attacked the US Capitol. The BBC has previously failed to serve subpoenas to the family members. Trump’s legal team has accused the BBC of harassment.

Tags: BBCDefamation SuitDon Jr.federal characterIvankaKushnerNewstrump
Share234SendTweet146
Somto Nwanolue

Somto Nwanolue

Somto Nwanolue is a news writer with a keen eye for spotting trending news and crafting engaging stories. Her interests includes beauty, lifestyle and fashion. Her life’s passion is to bring information to the right audience in written medium

Related Stories

US Grid to Cut Power to New Data Centers First Amid Shortages

US Grid to Cut Power to New Data Centers First Amid Shortages

bySomto Nwanolue
0

PJM Interconnection, the grid operator serving 67 million people across 13 states and Washington, D.C., has asked federal regulators to approve rules that would cut power to new...

​Canada Races to Avoid New U.S. Tariffs Ahead of Deadline

​Canada Races to Avoid New U.S. Tariffs Ahead of Deadline

byEriki Joan Ugunushe
0

​Canadian government officials are holding urgent talks in Washington to stop a massive wave of new U.S. tariffs on Canada that could hit billions of dollars worth of...

Supreme Court Rejects Trump's Bid to Block $5M Carroll Award

Supreme Court Rejects Trump’s Bid to Block $5M Carroll Award

bySomto Nwanolue
0

The Supreme Court on Monday declined for a second time to take up President Donald Trump's bid to overturn a jury verdict that awarded $5 million to writer...

US Navy Destroyer Spent 4 Days Without Power in South China Sea

US Navy Destroyer Spent 4 Days Without Power in South China Sea

bySomto Nwanolue
0

A US Navy guided-missile destroyer spent four days last month without working toilets, galley services, and air conditioning in the blistering heat of the South China Sea after...

Next Post
Tyson Shutters 2 Beef Plants, Sells Third as US Cattle Supply Crisis Worsens

Tyson Shutters 2 Beef Plants, Sells Third as US Cattle Supply Crisis Worsens

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Federal Character

We bring to you precise and factual news.
Towson, Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Recent Posts

  • US Grid to Cut Power to New Data Centers First Amid Shortages
  • ​Canada Races to Avoid New U.S. Tariffs Ahead of Deadline
  • Thieves Steal Antonello da Messina Artworks in Sicily

Categories

  • Beauty
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion & Lifestyle
  • Food & Nutrition
  • Government
  • Health
  • News
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Tech

Weekly Newsletter

  • Home
  • About Federal Character
  • Advertise With Us
  • Cookie Policy
  • Sitemap

Copyright © FederalCharacter.com 2026 .

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Government
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • About Federal Character
  • Advertise With Us

Copyright © FederalCharacter.com 2026 .