President Donald Trump says his administration is “reviewing everything” after the fatal shooting of 37-year-old nurse Alex Pretti by federal immigration agents, but critics point to his administration’s track record of defending aggressive law enforcement to question the substance of his pledge.
A Promise to Review, But No “Right Thing”
In an interview with the Wall Street Journal, Trump was asked twice whether the agent who shot Pretti did the right thing. He did not directly answer, stating only, “We’re looking, we’re reviewing everything and will come out with a determination.” He added, “I don’t like any shooting. I don’t like it… But I don’t like it when somebody goes into a protest and he’s got a very powerful, fully loaded gun.”

The remark was an apparent reference to the administration’s public narrative, which DHS Secretary Kristi Noem has stated, that Pretti was shot because he was “brandishing” a gun. This claim is hotly disputed by local authorities, the victim’s family, and eyewitnesses, who say Pretti had a phone in his hand. BBC Verify analysis of available video found no sign of a gun in Pretti’s hand at the moment of the shooting.
Escalating Conflict: State vs. Federal Authority
The incident has escalated a conflict between state and federal authorities that began with the fatal shooting of another U.S. citizen, Renee Good, earlier in the month. Minneapolis Police Chief Brian O’Hara told the BBC that federal agents blocked state investigators with a valid search warrant from the crime scene on Sunday.
This standoff has drawn bipartisan concern. Republican Senator Bill Cassidy said the Pretti shooting was “incredibly disturbing” and that “the credibility of ICE and DHS is at stake.” Even the National Rifle Association (NRA), a traditional Trump ally, broke ranks to call for a full investigation, stating, “Responsible public voices should be awaiting a full investigation, not making generalisations.”
Public Outcry and Political Pressure
Protests against ICE continued in Minneapolis and spread to other major U.S. cities over the weekend. The chief executives of more than 60 Minnesota-based companies, including 3M, Best Buy, and Target, signed an open letter calling for an immediate de-escalation.
The Pretti family issued a searing statement, calling the administration’s characterization of their son as a “domestic terrorist” “reprehensible and disgusting,” and noting he had no criminal record.
Facing this pressure, Trump indicated a potential off-ramp. He told the Wall Street Journal, “At some point we will leave. We’ve done, they’ve done a phenomenal job.” Yet, hours later on Truth Social, he demanded that Governor Tim Walz and Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey, along with every Democratic mayor and governor, “formally cooperate with the Trump Administration to enforce our Nation’s Laws.”
The conflicting signals—a vague promise to review, a defense of agents, and a threat to withdraw them—leave Minnesota and the nation waiting to see if Trump’s “review of everything” will lead to meaningful change or merely political maneuvering.
















