• Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
  • Fashion & Lifestyle
  • Food & Nutrition
  • Health
Federal Character
No Result
View All Result
Federal Character
  • Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
  • Fashion & Lifestyle
  • Food & Nutrition
  • Health
No Result
View All Result
Federal Character
No Result
View All Result
EFCC Blocks Emefiele’s Overseas Medical Application

EFCC Blocks Emefiele’s Overseas Medical Application

Somto NwanoluebySomto Nwanolue
2 years ago
in News
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
0
Facebook ShareWhatsapp ShareX Share

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) had on Monday rejected the application of an ex-governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Godwin Emefiele for the release of his passport to permit him to make an overseas medical trip.

In a statement released on Monday, the agency’s spokesman, Dele Oyewale said the defence counsel Labi-Lawal had filed an affidavit soliciting for the release of Emefiele’s passport so his client would be able to travel to the United Kingdom for medical treatments. Labi-Lawaal said this was objected to by the EFCC.

The affidavit released on Monday by the defence and the counter-affidavit by the prosecution was in acceleration of the ones made previously on the matter on June 25, 2024, by both teams.

Muhammad Abbas Omeiza, the Prosecution counsel had in furtherance to the counter-affidavit informed the court that there was no medical report before the court revealing that Emefiele was plagued by an ailment and that if there was, there was no evidence to buttress the fact that it could not be treated locally in Nigeria.

Omeiza further noted that Emefiele had deposited his passport with the court as part of the requirements for his bail conditions. He had then argued that releasing it to him would amount to the court varying his bail conditions.

The prosecuting counsel also said that Emefiele was a flight risk, as he has “co-conspirators all over the world. One Anita and Tony are all aides of the defendant who are currently in the UK. The defendant might be tempted to jump bail because he is standing trial in three different courts.”

In reaction to this claim, the defence counsel dismissed the prosecution’s arguments as merely speculation, noting that the prosecution could simply issue an international red alert on the defendant to enable his arrest if he made the overseas medical trip and refused to come back.

In the end, after listening to both counsels, Justice Mu’azu, postponed ruling on the application till July 16, 2024.

Tags: EfccEFCC Blocks Emefiele’s Overseas Medical ApplicationEmefielefederal charactergovernmentMedical ApplicationNews
Share234SendTweet146
Somto Nwanolue

Somto Nwanolue

Somto Nwanolue is a news writer with a keen eye for spotting trending news and crafting engaging stories. Her interests includes beauty, lifestyle and fashion. Her life’s passion is to bring information to the right audience in written medium

Related Stories

​The Real Reason Baltimore is Running Out of Water

​The Real Reason Baltimore is Running Out of Water

byEriki Joan Ugunushe
0

​Summer hasn't even officially started, and nearly two million people in Maryland are already facing a major environmental crisis. Officials have sounded the alarm, asking residents across the...

ABC and SBS Refuse to Adopt Royal Commission's Antisemitism Definition

ABC and SBS Refuse to Adopt Royal Commission’s Antisemitism Definition

bySomto Nwanolue
0

Australia's two public broadcasters have drawn a line in the sand. They will not use the definition of antisemitism adopted by the Royal Commission investigating social cohesion. Their...

Barcelona's New Tourism Boss Has a Message: 'We Don't Want One More Tourist'

Barcelona’s New Tourism Boss Has a Message: ‘We Don’t Want One More Tourist’

bySomto Nwanolue
0

After decades of relentlessly marketing their vibrant Mediterranean city, the authorities have appointed a man with a sustainable tourism message. José Antonio Donaire is Barcelona's first commissioner for...

Britain's Hard Right on the March as 150,000 Descend on London

Britain’s Hard Right on the March as 150,000 Descend on London

byFed Editor
0

Something has changed in British politics. And on Saturday, tens of thousands of people took to the streets of London to prove it. At least 150,000 people gathered...

Next Post
FG Suspends Import Duties on Maize, Wheat and Brown Rice, Here’s Why

FG Suspends Import Duties on Maize, Wheat and Brown Rice, Here’s Why

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

We bring to you precise and factual news

Recent Posts

  • Trump-Endorsed Andy Barr Wins Kentucky Republican Senate Primary
  • Bob Brooks Wins Democratic Primary In Pennsylvania’s Key 7th Congressional District
  • Christine Drazan Wins Oregon Republican Governorship Primary

Categories

  • Beauty
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion & Lifestyle
  • Food & Nutrition
  • Government
  • Health
  • News
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Tech

Weekly Newsletter

  • About
  • Advertise With Us
  • Cookie Policy

Copyright © FederalCharacter.com 2026 .

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
  • Fashion & Lifestyle
  • Food & Nutrition
  • Health

Copyright © FederalCharacter.com 2026 .