• Home
  • News
  • Government
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • About Federal Character
  • Advertise With Us
Federal Character
No Result
View All Result
Federal Character
  • Home
  • News
  • Government
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • About Federal Character
  • Advertise With Us
No Result
View All Result
Federal Character
No Result
View All Result
Home Government
US Courts Using Mass Hearings to Speed Up Deportations

US: Migrant Children Face Deportation Risk as Legal Aid Contract Ends

Somto NwanoluebySomto Nwanolue
3 weeks ago
in Government
Reading Time: 4 mins read
A A
0
Facebook ShareWhatsapp ShareX Share

Tens of thousands of migrant children who came to the United States alone could lose legal representation in immigration court and face increased risk of deportation as the Trump administration allows a federal contract with legal services providers to expire.

Friday marked the last day of a contract under which the federal government pays for legal services for children who enter the US without a parent or guardian. The government contracts those services to a network of nearly 100 legal groups across the country that provide services to roughly 20,000 children.

The Trump administration did not immediately respond to a request for comment on why it was allowing the contract to expire. It comes as the administration has redoubled its efforts to achieve its policy of mass deportations.

Table of Contents

Toggle
  • What the Contract Covered
  • The Warning
  • Legal Groups Already Laying Off Staff
  • In a Texas Immigration Court
  • Special Protections at Risk
  • The Bottom Line

What the Contract Covered

Under the expiring contract, legal groups could enter government-funded shelters and give presentations to children about their legal rights, and directly represent the children as they go through immigration court proceedings.

US: Migrant Children Face Deportation Risk as Legal Aid Contract Ends

As the contract ends, the providers say it is unclear what will happen come Monday or whether they will be able to visit their clients in the shelters where they live.

“We have no understanding of what’s going to happen to those children come next week. We don’t know if they’re going to have legal representation. The government as of yet has not identified who will take over this representation,” said Melissa Lopez, the executive director of Estrella El Paso, during a news conference earlier this week.

The Warning

The providers say their ability to enter the shelters, check on their clients, and give presentations to new arrivals serves as an important oversight measure for a vulnerable population. Without a lawyer to assist them in court and help them navigate the complexities of immigration law, children will be much more likely to be deported back to countries they initially fled.

“The government is trying to eliminate our work in this program because they know that without attorneys children will be deported,” said Lopez.

Health and Human Services, which is responsible for caring for unaccompanied migrant children while they are in government care and administers the contract, did not respond to a request for comment.

Legal Groups Already Laying Off Staff

The end of the contract comes as legal service providers say they have not been paid for more than half a year. The organizations say the Trump administration has been withholding payments as it demands detailed information about clients that the providers say they ethically cannot provide.

“They are clearly trying to destroy the program by grinding down the financial health of nonprofits. We’ve seen layoffs and furloughs, and we will see a lot more of that if these invoices aren’t paid,” said Michael Lukens, the executive director of the Amica Center.

Some groups have been trying to secure private funding to continue their work, while others have begun laying off staff and shuttering offices. ProBar in South Texas laid off 20% of its staff this week.

Mid-South Immigration Advocates, a nonprofit law firm based in Memphis, Tennessee, which helps over 400 unaccompanied minors, is owed over $500,000 from the federal government. They have laid off seven employees since 2025 and are closing their physical offices in Nashville and Memphis at the end of September.

In a Texas Immigration Court

Dozens of children and teens filed early Friday morning into the Harlingen courthouse for a hearing before an immigration judge. In the lobby, other children waiting for their hearings played with puzzles and action figures or drew in coloring books. One 8-year-old boy walked into the courtroom holding an Etch-a-Sketch.

Lauren Fisher Flores, an attorney for the American Bar Association’s ProBar project, warned the court of the looming contract expiration. She explained that come Monday, lawyers wouldn’t be able to provide legal information sessions that let children know their rights and would no longer be able to step in and provide “Friend of the Court” services.

“We sincerely hope there will be someone to step in next week,” she said. The judge thanked the attorney and said she was sorry to hear the news.

Special Protections at Risk

Migrant children traveling alone are usually entrusted to US government care, and there are various legal protections that apply to them once they are in the US and navigating the immigration system, including the Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act of 2008.

The law said the government should facilitate legal representation for children put into deportation proceedings. With some limited exceptions, it requires that children be placed in the “least restrictive setting possible,” which generally means they can be released to a sponsor, such as a relative in the US, while their immigration proceedings play out.

The children can apply for a specially protected status if they cannot return to their home country because of abuse or neglect, and they can also apply for asylum.

The Bottom Line

The Trump administration has allowed a federal contract providing legal aid to unaccompanied migrant children to expire, putting thousands at risk of deportation without representation. Legal service providers say they have not been paid for months and are laying off staff. Without attorneys, children will be much more likely to be deported back to countries they initially fled. The government has not said who will take over representation.

Tags: Deportation Riskfederal characterForeign NewsLegal Aid ContractMigrant ChildrenUS
Share234SendTweet147
Somto Nwanolue

Somto Nwanolue

Somto Nwanolue is a news writer with a keen eye for spotting trending news and crafting engaging stories. Her interests includes beauty, lifestyle and fashion. Her life’s passion is to bring information to the right audience in written medium

Related Stories

​Russia Withdraws Ambassador as UK Tensions Reach New Low

​Russia Withdraws Ambassador as UK Tensions Reach New Low

byEriki Joan Ugunushe
0

​As UK tensions reach new low points, Russia has officially pulled its ambassador out of London, leaving its diplomatic mission without a permanent leader. Andrey Kelin, who spent...

Sinaloa Governor Resigns Over US Drug Charges After One Day Back

​Sinaloa Governor Resigns Over US Drug Charges After One Day Back

byEriki Joan Ugunushe
0

​The Sinaloa governor resigns once again after a brief, one-day return to his post. Ruben Rocha Moya, who faces serious federal US drug charges for allegedly aiding the...

British Corporation Linked To Illegal Trafficking Of Africans To Guyana After Abolition

British Corporation Linked To Illegal Trafficking Of Africans To Guyana After Abolition

byAyobami Owolabi
0

New research has uncovered evidence suggesting that a British trading company linked to some of the largest recipients of slavery compensation continued the illegal trafficking of Africans years...

​​US-Canada Trade War Escalates as Doug Ford Targets 8 Key American States

​US-Canada Trade War Escalates as Doug Ford Targets 8 Key American States

byEriki Joan Ugunushe
0

​The US-Canada trade war has taken another turn following the total breakdown of trade talks between the U.S and Canada. In response to a new 50 percent tariff...

Next Post
Ceuta Border Crisis: Thousands Remain Stranded on Beaches

Italy Suspends Schengen with Spain After 60,000 Migrants Reach Ceuta

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Federal Character

We bring to you precise and factual news.
Towson, Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Recent Posts

  • ​Russia Withdraws Ambassador as UK Tensions Reach New Low
  • ​Sinaloa Governor Resigns Over US Drug Charges After One Day Back
  • Veteran Actor Taiwo Hassan ‘Ogogo’ Dies After Cancer Battle

Categories

  • Beauty
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion & Lifestyle
  • Food & Nutrition
  • Government
  • Health
  • News
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Tech

Weekly Newsletter

  • Home
  • About Federal Character
  • Advertise With Us
  • Cookie Policy
  • Sitemap

Copyright © FederalCharacter.com 2026 .

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Government
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • About Federal Character
  • Advertise With Us

Copyright © FederalCharacter.com 2026 .