Davido, Burna Boy and Olamide are of the many artistes that have made it to the top echelon of the Nigerian music industry. Here are facts about these great artistes;
1. David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, was born on November 21, 1992, in Atlanta, Georgia. In Lagos, he attended the British International School.
2. He went on to study Business Administration at Oakland University in Alabama, but only for a brief time before dropping out and returning to Nigeria to pursue his music career.
3. He was accepted into Babcock University’s music program, which his father helped to establish. He received a second class upper degree in music from Babcock University in June 2015.
4. His father, Adedeji Adeleke, is a Nigerian millionaire businessman, and his mother, Vero, was a university professor.
5. Isiaka Adeleke, Davido’s uncle, is a former Governor of Osun State and presently serves as a Senator in the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
6. Ademola Adeleke, his other uncle, is a professor, politician, and current Senator for the Osun-West senatorial district. He was elected to replace the position left vacant by his older brother’s death. Shina “Sina Rambo” Adeleke and Adebayo “B-Red” Adeleke are his children.
7. Davido began his singing career in America as a youngster. He started out as a backup singer for Sina Rambo, a rising rapper in the United States.
8. Davido’s first song, “Back When,” featuring Naeto C, was warmly received and established him as a rising star.
9. Davido’s baby mom is Dele Momodu’s cousin, a prominent journalist turned politician. Davido gave birth to a baby girl called “Imade” in May 2015.
10. Before moving to the United States to pursue Business Administration at Oakwood University in Alabama, Davido attended the British International School. His grades fell as a result of his passion for music, so he quit school and moved to London to perfect his musical abilities. In 2011, he returned to Nigeria, where his father demanded that he return to school. When the elder Adeleke agreed to sponsor the establishment of a Music Department at Babcock University, Davido became the first (part-time) student. In 2015, he received a Second Class Upper diploma.
1. Burna Boy received his first tattoo when he was 15 years old. He claims that his tattoos are artistic representations of himself. He has around 12 tattoos on his body, including one of his idols, the late Fela Anikulapo Kuti.
2. On the first day, his first album, “L.I.F.E.” sold 50,000 copies.
Burna is number three. During a performance, a little boy fell off the stage, breaking both his leg and ribs.
4. He also enjoys cartoons and comedies.
5. Burna Boy’s grandfather worked in the entertainment industry as well. He was Fela’s manager in the past.
6. He began professionally performing music when he was 19 years old, in 2010.
7. His birthday is July 2nd, 1991.
8. Fela Anikulapo Kuti, 2Face Idibia, and Sizzla Kalonji are his role models.
9. At the 2013 Nigeria Entertainment Awards, he was named Best New Act of the Year.
10. Mizzy Mojo once revealed that Burna was a member of a group that had been suspected of murder. Burna reportedly returned to Nigeria without the UK’s authorization and was barred from entering the nation for an extended period of time.
1. He is the first Nigerian named as a Ciroc ambassador.
2. He realized his musical potential in the year 2000.
3. He was initially signed to ID Cabasa’s Coded Tunes record label, which he quit in 2012. Under the label, he released the album ‘Rapsodi’.
4. Olamide Adedeji has released eleven albums in his career, all of which have been released back-to-back, i.e. one album every year.
5. ID Cabasa is the person he thinks has had the most positive impact on his work life.
6. In 2012, he founded his own record label, YBNL. In the same year, he recorded the “YBNL” album.
7. Throughout his career, he has garnered well over 50 awards and nominations.
8. According to his own Twitter profile, Olamide was never signed to DB Records by Dbanj at any point in his career.
9. Due to financial constraints, Olamide did not complete his academic degree at the Tai Solarin University of Education.
10. Olamide is Nigeria’s highest-paid performer on stage. He owns between $9 and $10 million.
What's Your Reaction?
Echatah Patrick, has over 3 years of experience working in Content curating, communication, journalism and child development.