• Home
  • News
  • Government
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • About Federal Character
  • Advertise With Us
Federal Character
No Result
View All Result
Federal Character
  • Home
  • News
  • Government
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • About Federal Character
  • Advertise With Us
No Result
View All Result
Federal Character
No Result
View All Result
Home Business & Finance
Big World Cup Nightmare for Hotels: Bookings Are Way Below What They Expected

Big World Cup Nightmare for Hotels: Bookings Are Way Below What They Expected

Somto NwanoluebySomto Nwanolue
3 months ago
in Business & Finance
Reading Time: 4 mins read
A A
0
Facebook ShareWhatsapp ShareX Share

With only six weeks to go before the start of the World Cup, hotels in most of the host cities are staring at a nightmare. The crowds were supposed to come. The rooms were supposed to fill. The summer was supposed to be a windfall.

Instead, bookings are running far below what they expected.

For some metro areas, such as Kansas City, bookings are running even below what a typical June or July would bring, according to an industry survey released on Monday by the American Hotel and Lodging Association. The report, conducted last month, is based on 205 respondents “representing hotel operators and owners, many of whom own multiple hotel portfolios across the country and across multiple World Cup markets.”

The disappointment comes after the hotel industry was bracing for a strong summer in 2026. The World Cup is taking place across the United States, Canada, and Mexico — with 11 US cities hosting games. In addition, the US is celebrating the 250th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence, which was also expected to bring an influx of foreign visitors. Overseas visitors are critical to the hotel industry because they tend to spend more and stay longer.

But they are not coming.

Big World Cup Nightmare for Hotels: Bookings Are Way Below What They Expected

 

Table of Contents

Toggle
  • The Numbers Are Bleak
  • Bright Spots, But Not Enough
  • Why Travelers Are Staying Away
  • The Official Response
  • The Bottom Line

The Numbers Are Bleak

The AHLA said the disappointing bookings stem from fewer than expected international travelers and large cancellations by FIFA — the organizer of the World Cup — leaving hotels with an unexpectedly large number of empty rooms.

“Despite more than 5 million tickets sold (for World Cup matches), this demand has not yet translated into strong hotel bookings,” the AHLA said in the report.

The warning is stark: nearly 80 percent of hotel bookings across host cities are running below initial forecasts, according to the survey. In Kansas City, 85 to 90 percent of hotels reported bookings below projections.

That is not a minor shortfall. That is a systemic collapse in expected demand.

World Cup organizers in Kansas City pushed back against the survey, telling The Athletic that embassy staff from countries such as the Netherlands are deploying additional staff to the city in anticipation of a high number of visitors. Tournament organizers in the city still stand by their ambitious projection to attract 650,000 visitors over the course of the World Cup. But the hotel data suggests those projections may be wildly optimistic.

Bright Spots, But Not Enough

There were bright spots, however, for host cities Miami and Atlanta. About half of the survey respondents in the capital of Georgia reported bookings in line with or ahead of projections, while about 55 percent of respondents in Florida’s biggest metro area reported stronger-than-expected projections.

But two cities cannot拯救 an entire tournament. If Kansas City is struggling and other mid-sized host cities are facing similar shortfalls, the overall picture is one of widespread disappointment.

Why Travelers Are Staying Away

The survey results appear to be another sign that overseas travelers are not planning to come to the United States in the numbers once expected, as a result of a slew of factors, including tighter immigration policies under the Trump administration.

“Even with global anticipation building, the path to the US for many World Cup travelers feels increasingly less like a red-carpet welcome,” the AHLA said in its survey. “There is a perception that international travelers may face lengthy visa wait times, increased visa fees, and lingering uncertainty around entry processing.”

The AHLA also cited other factors such as the strong US dollar — which makes travel to America more expensive for foreigners — and concerns about airport screening as “contributing to a growing sense that visiting the US for the World Cup may be more complicated and costly.”

In other words, the same administration that touted the World Cup as a chance to showcase America has also erected barriers that are keeping international visitors away.

The Official Response

FIFA has continued to tout the “unprecedented” demand for the tournament and has said it expects the World Cup to break attendance records. That is the official line. But the hotel bookings tell a different story.

Meanwhile, White House spokesman Davis Ingle told NPR last week that the tournament “will no doubt be one of the greatest and most spectacular events in the history of mankind,” and that “President Trump is focused on ensuring that this is not only an incredible experience for all fans and visitors, but also the safest and most secure in history.”

Safety and security are important. But if fans cannot get visas, or fear they will be turned away at the border, or find that travel to America is simply too expensive and too complicated, then safety becomes irrelevant. An empty stadium is a very safe stadium. It is also a failed event.

The Bottom Line

With six weeks until the World Cup kicks off across the United States, Canada, and Mexico, hotel bookings at most host cities are running far below projections. An industry survey found that nearly 80 percent of hotel bookings across host cities are below initial forecasts. In Kansas City, 85 to 90 percent of hotels reported bookings below what a typical June or July would bring.

The American Hotel and Lodging Association blames fewer than expected international travelers and large cancellations by FIFA. Factors include tight US immigration policies, lengthy visa wait times, increased visa fees, a strong dollar, and concerns about airport screening. While Miami and Atlanta are showing some strength, most host cities are facing a hotel nightmare.

Tags: Businessfederal characterForeign NewsNewsSports
Share235SendTweet147
Somto Nwanolue

Somto Nwanolue

Somto Nwanolue is a news writer with a keen eye for spotting trending news and crafting engaging stories. Her interests includes beauty, lifestyle and fashion. Her life’s passion is to bring information to the right audience in written medium

Related Stories

Paramount Seeks $1.9B Bond From States Fighting Warner Bros. Merger

Paramount Seeks $1.9B Bond From States Fighting Warner Bros. Merger

bySomto Nwanolue
0

Paramount wants the states that are suing over the Warner Bros. Discovery deal to post a $1.9 billion bond. The states are scoffing at the idea. "They don't...

Google Secures Spirit Airlines Emails, Chats, Documents In Bankruptcy Auction

Google Secures Spirit Airlines Emails, Chats, Documents In Bankruptcy Auction

byAyobami Owolabi
0

Google has emerged as the successful bidder for a substantial collection of Spirit Airlines’ internal data and software, offering $10 million for assets it intends to use for...

Canada Braces For Trump’s Proposed 50% Tariffs As Aug. 19 Deadline Nears

Canada Braces For Trump’s Proposed 50% Tariffs As Aug. 19 Deadline Nears

byAyobami Owolabi
0

Canadian businesses and consumers are watching closely as the August 19 deadline approaches for US President Donald Trump’s proposed 50% tariffs on a range of Canadian goods and...

Consumer Reports Urges Maryland Regulators To Reject BGE’s $156m Rate Hike

Consumer Reports Urges Maryland Regulators To Reject BGE’s $156m Rate Hike

byAyobami Owolabi
0

Consumer Reports has launched a campaign calling on the Maryland Public Service Commission to reject Baltimore Gas and Electric’s proposed $156 million rate increase, warning that the plan...

Next Post
Taxpayers Funded $300,000 in Sexual Harassment Settlements — Here's Who Got the Money

Taxpayers Funded $300,000 in Sexual Harassment Settlements — Here's Who Got the Money

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Federal Character

We bring to you precise and factual news.
Towson, Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Recent Posts

  • Judge Blocks Trump’s Plan to Move FBI Headquarters to DC Building
  • Paramount Seeks $1.9B Bond From States Fighting Warner Bros. Merger
  • Big Bend Border Wall Paused by Trump Amid Bipartisan Criticism

Categories

  • Beauty
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion & Lifestyle
  • Food & Nutrition
  • Government
  • Health
  • News
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Tech

Weekly Newsletter

  • Home
  • About Federal Character
  • Advertise With Us
  • Cookie Policy
  • Sitemap

Copyright © FederalCharacter.com 2026 .

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Government
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • About Federal Character
  • Advertise With Us

Copyright © FederalCharacter.com 2026 .