The Kennedy Center has told a federal court that it plans to restore President Donald Trump’s name to the arts complex, according to a status report filed late Tuesday.
Under the proposal put forward by the center’s board, the building’s signage would eventually read: “The John F. Kennedy Memorial Center for the Performing Arts, Restored and Renovated by President Donald J. Trump, Endowed by the Trump Kennedy Center Fund.”
The final portion of the proposed inscription would only be added if the Trump Kennedy Center Fund raises at least $100 million in donations.
The board is also seeking to rename the grounds surrounding the performing arts complex “President Donald J. Trump Plaza.”
However, the Kennedy Center said it would not attempt to put Trump’s name back on the building before September 8.

The filing was submitted in a legal dispute involving the Kennedy Center and Democratic Rep. Joyce Beatty of Ohio, an ex officio member of the center’s board.
Beatty’s attorneys have asked US District Judge Christopher R. Cooper to issue a ruling before September 8, arguing that the board could move quickly to implement its latest resolution after that date.
“There is thus every reason to believe that Defendants will attempt to effectuate some or part of this latest unlawful resolution at the earliest opportunity after Sept. 8,” Beatty’s lawyers wrote.
They also raised concerns that the building’s historic marble facade may already have been damaged by the installation of Trump’s name.
The Kennedy Center, meanwhile, defended the large tarp currently covering the signage at the building’s main entrance, saying it is part of ongoing renovation work.
According to the center, the covering is needed partly to protect the marble panels while construction is underway.
Beatty’s legal team disputed that explanation, arguing that the tarp and scaffolding were being maintained to undermine an earlier court order concerning the building’s status as a memorial to former President John F. Kennedy.
The lawyers claimed the center’s board “are maintaining scaffolding and a tarp to cover the Kennedy Center’s façade to frustrate the intent of the Court’s order that the Center be returned to a memorial exclusively honoring President Kennedy.”
The latest court documents also disclosed that the Kennedy Center’s board was presented with two possible plans for shutting down the complex during renovations.
The plans, prepared by Virginia-based Delta Consulting Group, included one option for a complete closure and another involving a partial shutdown.
Beatty’s lawyers questioned the consultant’s qualifications, claiming Delta Consulting Group does not have experience in arts management.
The relevant building plans and consultant’s report remain under seal.
Meanwhile, the National Symphony Orchestra (NSO), one of the Kennedy Center’s major resident organisations, has announced plans for its 2026-27 season.
The orchestra said its performances would be spread across six venues in the Washington, DC, metropolitan area.
The NSO has reportedly faced serious financial difficulties amid a broader boycott of the Kennedy Center by artists and audiences. Multiple internal sources, who were not authorised to speak publicly, have described the orchestra’s financial situation as increasingly challenging.
The orchestra’s financial problems were previously reported by The Washington Post.
Moving performances between several venues could present logistical and financial challenges for the NSO, particularly because audiences may be reluctant to change established routines.
However, with uncertainty surrounding the Kennedy Center’s renovation and operations, performances at alternative venues could potentially attract audiences who might otherwise avoid the complex.





