• Home
  • News
  • Government
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • About Federal Character
  • Advertise With Us
Federal Character
No Result
View All Result
Federal Character
  • Home
  • News
  • Government
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • About Federal Character
  • Advertise With Us
No Result
View All Result
Federal Character
No Result
View All Result
Home Government
South Korea Seeks Military Independence After Trump Cuts Joint Drills

South Korea Seeks Military Independence After Trump Cuts Joint Drills

Somto NwanoluebySomto Nwanolue
6 minutes ago
in Government
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
0
Facebook ShareWhatsapp ShareX Share

South Korea’s president has renewed his push to regain independent control of the military from the United States in the event of war and urged faster progress in acquiring nuclear-powered submarines after President Donald Trump ordered a reduction in joint military drills.

On Sunday night, Trump instructed the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” this week’s joint military exercises with South Korea, saying the nuclear-armed North “has been unthreatening and respectful” and that the US president had a “very good relationship with Kim Jong-un.”

Lee Jae Myung said on Tuesday that Seoul should proceed without disruption with the planned transfer, during his term, of wartime operational control of South Korean forces from the US — a goal he and the government have long held.

“A strong alliance makes the foundation of security stronger, and strengthening our own capabilities increases our value and necessity as an ally,” Lee said in a cabinet meeting, describing the US-South Korea alliance and independent defence as mutually reinforcing.

Table of Contents

Toggle
  • The Opcon Issue
  • The Drills
  • Trump’s North Korea Diplomacy
  • The Security Concerns
  • The Bottom Line

The Opcon Issue

Wartime Opcon, the authority to direct South Korean forces if fighting resumes, has rested with the US since the Korean War began in 1950, exercised through the head of the allies’ Combined Forces Command, a position that has always been held by an American four-star general.

South Korea Seeks Military Independence After Trump Cuts Joint Drills

Seoul regained peacetime control of its own military in 1994, but the wartime authority has become a potent symbol of national sovereignty, and reclaiming it has been one of South Korea’s foremost security goals for more than two decades, repeatedly delayed under successive governments.

This week’s now-curtailed drills were meant to help certify South Korea’s readiness to finally take it over, a process Lee has pushed to accelerate since taking office.

The Drills

The renewed push follows Trump’s call to make cuts to the planned 10 days of drills that started on Monday under the name Ulchi Freedom Shield, one of two main annual exercises held by South Korea and the US.

They were expected to involve about 18,000 South Korean troops, alongside US forces and personnel from 11 of the 18 member states of the United Nations Command, the multinational body that oversees the 1953 armistice that halted hostilities of the Korean War.

Trump’s North Korea Diplomacy

During questioning in the Oval Office on Monday, Trump claimed North Korean leader Kim had responded to his order to the Pentagon but did not provide details. When asked what stage the conversations with Kim were at, Trump said “it’s very positive” but provided no further detail.

Trump doubled down on his praise for Kim, saying their ties had reduced tensions. “You see, I’m actually making it much safer. Kim Jong-un has always treated me with great respect,” he said. “I understand him. He understands me.”

Trump has previously suspended major US-South Korean military exercises in pursuit of diplomacy with Kim. After his first summit with the North Korean leader in 2018, that year’s Ulchi Freedom Guardian exercise was cancelled.

The Security Concerns

The US president acted despite warnings from US and South Korean military officials that Kim’s regime is learning new battlefield tactics by sending North Korean troops to the Ukraine war. North Korea has deepened military ties with Russia since they signed a comprehensive strategic partnership pact in June 2024, providing troops, artillery ammunition, and ballistic missiles to support Moscow’s war against Ukraine.

“They’ve taken those lessons they learned there and brought them back to North Korea, that changes the DPRK capability,” said Col Ryan Donald, the public affairs director for the US-led commands in South Korea.

“Our training accounts for that threat; that is why the exercise looks different, and over the last five years it’s continually evolved.”

The Bottom Line

South Korea’s president has renewed his push to regain wartime operational control of its military from the US after President Trump ordered cuts to joint military drills. Trump cited his warm relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un. The drills were meant to certify South Korea’s readiness to take over wartime command, a goal Seoul has pursued for over two decades. Trump’s move came despite warnings that North Korea is learning new battlefield tactics from its involvement in the Ukraine war.

Tags: federal characterForeign NewsgovernmentJoint DrillsMilitary IndependenceNewsSouth Koreatrump
Share234SendTweet146
Somto Nwanolue

Somto Nwanolue

Somto Nwanolue is a news writer with a keen eye for spotting trending news and crafting engaging stories. Her interests includes beauty, lifestyle and fashion. Her life’s passion is to bring information to the right audience in written medium

Related Stories

​DOJ Probes DEA Over Fentanyl "Walking" Strategy

​DOJ Probes DEA Over Fentanyl “Walking” Strategy

byEriki Joan Ugunushe
0

​The U.S. Department of Justice Inspector General launched a formal review into controversial federal law enforcement tactics following revelations that drug enforcement agents repeatedly monitored but declined to...

US Grid to Cut Power to New Data Centers First Amid Shortages

US Grid to Cut Power to New Data Centers First Amid Shortages

bySomto Nwanolue
0

PJM Interconnection, the grid operator serving 67 million people across 13 states and Washington, D.C., has asked federal regulators to approve rules that would cut power to new...

​Canada Races to Avoid New U.S. Tariffs Ahead of Deadline

​Canada Races to Avoid New U.S. Tariffs Ahead of Deadline

byEriki Joan Ugunushe
0

​Canadian government officials are holding urgent talks in Washington to stop a massive wave of new U.S. tariffs on Canada that could hit billions of dollars worth of...

​Court Restricts BBC Defense Strategy in $10 Billion Legal Battle

BBC Seeks Subpoenas for Ivanka, Kushner, Don Jr. in Trump Defamation Suit

bySomto Nwanolue
0

The BBC has asked a Florida court to subpoena members of President Trump's family as part of the British public broadcaster's legal defense against Mr. Trump's $10 billion...

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Federal Character

We bring to you precise and factual news.
Towson, Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Recent Posts

  • South Korea Seeks Military Independence After Trump Cuts Joint Drills
  • FIFA World Cup Hosting Costs Leave Estadio Azteca Owners Facing $47m Loss
  • Mourinho Highlights Real Madrid Talents After 3-0 Victory Against Schalke

Categories

  • Beauty
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion & Lifestyle
  • Food & Nutrition
  • Government
  • Health
  • News
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Tech

Weekly Newsletter

  • Home
  • About Federal Character
  • Advertise With Us
  • Cookie Policy
  • Sitemap

Copyright © FederalCharacter.com 2026 .

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Government
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • About Federal Character
  • Advertise With Us

Copyright © FederalCharacter.com 2026 .