The Nigerian Community in Turkey, on Tuesday, February 7 had said that it was yet to determine the precise number of Nigerians affected by the 7.8 magnitude earthquake which rocked the transcontinental country yesterday, February 6.
According to news reports, the earthquake had brought down whole apartment buildings in Turkish cities and had already claimed thousands of lives.
Meanwhile, The Financial Secretary of the community, Taofik Amuni, while speaking with a correspondent of THE PUNCH newspapers remarked that the community was still awaiting the total number of Nigerians displaced by the incident although Amuni had revealed that no Nigerian had lost their life as at 9:00 am W.A.T.
He said, “The incident happened yesterday and no Nigerian has lost their life. We are yet to, however, ascertain the number of Nigerians who might have been displaced.
Additionally, the President of, the National Association of Nigerian Students, NANS Turkish zone, Yakubu Sabo, confirmed that a few Nigerian students had been taken in by the Turkish officials for a post-shock earthquake analysis.
“Turkey is an earthquake-prone country. Some of our new students had been traumatized by the quake and have been taken in for post-shock analysis. They will be released immediately after they are certified okay. The old students are meanwhile, already used to it. We will provide more updates as the day progresses”. Sabo had said