• Home
  • News
  • Government
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • About Federal Character
  • Advertise With Us
Federal Character
No Result
View All Result
Federal Character
  • Home
  • News
  • Government
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • About Federal Character
  • Advertise With Us
No Result
View All Result
Federal Character
No Result
View All Result
Home News
Deadly Landslide: Ethiopia Declares Three-day Mourning For the Deceased

Deadly Landslide: Ethiopia Declares Three-day Mourning For the Deceased

Somto NwanoluebySomto Nwanolue
2 years ago
in News
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
0
Facebook ShareWhatsapp ShareX Share

Ethiopia had announced on Friday that there would be a three-day mourning period in the aftermath of the devastating landslide that occurred in the southern remote part of the country.

Over 250 persons had lost their lives in that incident.

Rescuers have continued the grim search for bodies in Kencho Shacha Gozdi, (a small locality in the area) while distraught survivors continue to bury those who perished in the disaster that has now been recorded as the deadliest landslide on record in the country.

A UN humanitarian agency, OCHA, had warned that the death toll could reach 500.

What They’re Saying:

Ethiopia’s parliament had said, that the mourning period would start from Saturday.

The period of remembrance would allow mourners “comfort to their relatives and all the people of our country,” the state-run Ethiopian Broadcasting Corporation had said in a statement.

The Ethiopian Disaster Risk Management Commission also revealed that humanitarian aid and rehabilitation was “well under way” in the region, adding that a “structure for emergency disaster response coordination and integration” had been established, putting the number of people needing to be relocated at 6,000.

Aid had begun arriving in the manner of four trucks from the Ethiopian Red Cross Society, according to OCHA.

OCHA also said that more than 15,000 people were in need of evacuation because of the risk of further landslides. This number included small children and pregnant women or new mothers.

Officials had reported that most of the victims who were buried had rushed to help after a first landslide, which had cone after the heavy rains on Sunday.

Meanwhile, international offers of condolences have flooded in, including from the African Union, UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres and the World Health Organization chief.

Tags: Deadly Landslide: Ethiopia Declares Three-day Mourning For the DeceasedDeceasedethiopiafederal characterlandslideNews
Share234SendTweet146
Somto Nwanolue

Somto Nwanolue

Somto Nwanolue is a news writer with a keen eye for spotting trending news and crafting engaging stories. Her interests includes beauty, lifestyle and fashion. Her life’s passion is to bring information to the right audience in written medium

Related Stories

Thieves Steal Antonello da Messina Artworks in Sicily

Thieves Steal Antonello da Messina Artworks in Sicily

byEriki Joan Ugunushe
0

​​Police in Italy are investigating a major heist after thieves managed to get away with precious Antonello da Messina artworks stolen from a museum in Sicily over the...

​NYC Synagogue Attack: Suspect Faces Hate Crime Charges

​NYC Synagogue Attack: Suspect Faces Hate Crime Charges

byEriki Joan Ugunushe
0

​Police have formally charged a suspect with hate crimes following a violent NYC synagogue attack that interrupted Friday night Shabbat services in Midtown Manhattan. Authorities identified the suspect...

Tyson Shutters 2 Beef Plants, Sells Third as US Cattle Supply Crisis Worsens

Tyson Shutters 2 Beef Plants, Sells Third as US Cattle Supply Crisis Worsens

bySomto Nwanolue
0

Tyson Foods has announced plans to close its beef plant in Joslin, Illinois, and its case-ready facility in Eagle Mountain, Utah, while also seeking a buyer for its...

Study Visa Is Temporary, Alberta Premier Tells International Students

Study Visa Is Temporary, Alberta Premier Tells International Students

byAyobami Owolabi
0

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith has warned international students that studying in Canada does not guarantee permanent residency, urging those who cannot secure legal status after their studies to...

Next Post
Sokoto State Government Snubs National Protest

Sokoto State Government Snubs National Protest

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Federal Character

We bring to you precise and factual news.
Towson, Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Recent Posts

  • UEFA and Concacaf in talks over ambitious combined Nations League designed to rival FIFA
  • Aune Heggebo given two-match ban after ‘deliberately deceiving’ ref with handball goal
  • Real Madrid face unique La Liga referee ruling at Santiago Bernabeu

Categories

  • Beauty
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion & Lifestyle
  • Food & Nutrition
  • Government
  • Health
  • News
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Tech

Weekly Newsletter

  • Home
  • About Federal Character
  • Advertise With Us
  • Cookie Policy
  • Sitemap

Copyright © FederalCharacter.com 2026 .

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Government
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • About Federal Character
  • Advertise With Us

Copyright © FederalCharacter.com 2026 .