The Catalan giants have this evening announced that the 34-year-old will not sign a new contract.
According to Marca, the 34-year-old will not be able to extend at the Catalan club despite reports suggesting earlier today that he would sign a new deal this week.
The publication claims Messi is now further away from committing himself to Barcelona than ever before, with president Joan Laporta reportedly aware of the situation.
RAC1, however, reported that the six-time Ballon d’Or already communicated his decision to the club on Wednesday, with the situation believed to be “irreversible”.
Messi, it goes on, is reportedly unconvinced by Barcelona’s sporting project and is also deeply concerned about its financial problems that have made headlines since the beginning of the year.
Fabrizio Romano tweeted that:
🚨 OFFICIAL STATEMENT #Messi
“Despite having reached an agreement between Barça and Leo Messi and with the clear intention of both parties to sign a new contract today, it will not be possible to formalize due to economic and structural obstacles (Spanish LaLiga regulations)”.
Earlier this week, news broke out that an investment fund has pumped money into LaLiga, and accepting the funding would mean the end of their own European Super League dreams. That funding, however, was said to be the only way they could afford a new contract for Messi, who could now be looking for a new club.
Laporta, who returned as chief to replace Josep Maria Bartomeu, is said to be backing Real Madrid president Florentino Perez’s Super League mission, perhaps as it would place the club in a better economic position.
We now await the official announcement from Barcelona.
What's Your Reaction?
A Creative Podcaster with vast knowledge in Strategic Communications, Public Relations, Digital marketing and Social media management.