The number of people missing from a landslide that struck a southern Philippine province has risen to 110 on Thursday, February 8, even as rescuers recovered more bodies, making the official death toll to climb to 11, according to reports by disaster officials.
The landslide occurred on Tuesday night in Maco town, in the province of Davao de Oro, sinking homes and two buses, which a provincial official had said was carrying over two dozen passengers.
Maco’s disaster agency had reported on its social media account that the number of missing people had sharply risen to 110 from the over 40 persons previously reported. The agency also added thatmore than 1,166 families had been cleared out from their homes.
Heavy rains have battered Davao de Oro in previous weeks, prompting floods and landslides.
Meanwhile, the spokesperson for the military’s Eastern Command, Rosa Cristina Rosete-Manuel, who is helping to lead the rescue operations has said that rescuers are hopeful of finding more survivors.