There are several ways to make your house smell pleasant, including using quick fixes like air fresheners, scented candles, or incense. However, these solutions only provide temporary solutions and are not effective for long-term odour problems. To address persistent odours, it is important to incorporate practices such as using natural scents or filling your home with herbs or plants.
Other practices include:
- Fresh flowers: A bouquet of fresh flowers not only looks beautiful but can also add a lovely fragrance to your home.
- Deodorize the kitchen after cooking: Onions, garlic, and fish usually leave a pungent smell in the kitchen [which usually transcends to other parts of the house] after cooking. It is essential to spray the kitchen with scents that eliminates the unwanted odor.
- Open the windows: One of the easiest and most effective ways to freshen up the air in your home is to open the windows and let in some fresh air.
- Simmer some spices: Boil a pot of water with some cinnamon sticks, cloves, or citrus slices to create a natural air freshener.
- Prioritize natural scents over artificial ones: Essential oils, scented candles, and incense can help make your home smell amazing. Some popular scents include lavender, lemon, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Fill your home with herbs and plants like a vase of rosemary, mint, or sage.
- Always refresh carpet and rug: unlike floor tiles that are easy to clean when dirty, dirt tends to get trapped inside the rug and carpet thereby making it smell horrible.
- Use air fresheners: Air fresheners, such as plug-ins, sprays, or automatic diffusers can help to mask any unpleasant odours in your home.
There is a common misconception that in order for your home to have a pleasant scent, the fragrance must immediately surround you upon entering. However, the opposite is true. The goal is to create an overall ambience of vitality, serenity, or whatever atmosphere you desire for the area. It’s also essential to keep in mind any potential guests, as some may have allergies or sensitivities to potent fragrances, and it’s important not to make them feel uneasy in your home.
It’s worth noting that relying solely on air fresheners, reed diffusers, and similar products to mask unpleasant odors is a temporary solution if your home isn’t clean. It’s essential to address the underlying cause of the smell before resorting to scented candles, reed diffusers, or air fresheners.