• Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
  • Fashion & Lifestyle
  • Food & Nutrition
  • Health
Federal Character
No Result
View All Result
Federal Character
  • Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
  • Fashion & Lifestyle
  • Food & Nutrition
  • Health
No Result
View All Result
Federal Character
No Result
View All Result
Trump Returns from China with No Iran Breakthrough — and a Decision to Make

Supreme Court Deals Major Blow to Trump’s Second-Term Agenda

Somto NwanoluebySomto Nwanolue
3 months ago
in Government
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
0
Facebook ShareWhatsapp ShareX Share

Donald Trump spent months warning that a Supreme Court decision like this would be catastrophic. On Friday, a six-justice majority told him it didn’t matter.

The court ruled that Congress, not the president, holds the power to impose sweeping tariffs—and that nothing in the Emergency Economic Powers Act of 1977 delegated such authority to Trump. The decision strikes at the heart of his second-term economic agenda, invalidating tariffs affecting nearly every U.S. trading partner and potentially forcing the administration to return billions in collected revenue.

Two of Trump’s own appointees—Justices Neil Gorsuch and Amy Coney Barrett—joined the liberal justices in the majority. Chief Justice John Roberts wrote the opinion. The message was unmistakable: the president’s power has limits.

Supreme Court Deals Major Blow to Trump's Second-Term Agenda

Table of Contents

Toggle
  • ‘He Cannot’
  • The Political Fallout
  • An Awkward Tuesday Night
  • What Comes Next

‘He Cannot’

The ruling represents a rare check on a president unaccustomed to being told no. Over the past year, the court has largely allowed Trump to press ahead with his agenda on immigration and government restructuring while legal challenges played out. This case, fast-tracked as an emergency, slammed the door on one expansive use of presidential authority.

Roberts was blunt: the 1977 law “does not authorize the President to impose tariffs.” The tariffs Trump imposed under it were therefore illegal.

Justice Brett Kavanaugh, dissenting, warned that sorting out the consequences—including whether the government must refund an estimated $140 billion in tariffs—would be a “mess.”

The Political Fallout

For Trump, the decision is more than a legal defeat. It weakens his hand in trade negotiations, tarnishes his aura of invincibility, and could embolden trading partners to take a tougher line.

Jamieson Greer, Trump’s top trade adviser, acknowledged last month that the White House had prepared for this outcome. “The president is going to have tariffs as part of his trade policy going forward,” he said.

But the remaining options are more limited. New tariffs would require detailed agency justifications and face restrictions on scope and duration. Gone are the days when Trump could threaten triple-digit tariffs with a Truth Social post and watch markets tremble.

If Trump wants to restore his free hand, he could ask Congress for explicit authorization. With narrow Republican majorities and midterm elections looming, that path looks steep.

An Awkward Tuesday Night

The timing could hardly be worse. On Tuesday, Trump will deliver his State of the Union address to a joint session of Congress. Tradition places the Supreme Court justices in the front row.

The president who spent months warning the court against this decision will stand feet away from the justices who just dismantled a key pillar of his second-term agenda.

For some Republicans, there may be quiet relief. Trump’s tariffs—and the costs they imposed on consumers—have been unpopular. Candidates in battleground districts now have one less vulnerability to defend.

What Comes Next

The court left the question of tariff refunds to a lower court, ensuring months of additional litigation. Other major cases involving executive power—including efforts to end birthright citizenship and dismiss a Federal Reserve governor—remain pending.

But Friday’s decision signals that even this court, which has often sided with Trump, has limits. The president can push. He can test boundaries. But when he exceeds what the law allows, six justices are willing to say so.

The words Roberts wrote will echo beyond this case: “He cannot.”

Tags: federal characterForeign NewsgovernmentNewssecond termSupreme Courttrump
Share234SendTweet146
Somto Nwanolue

Somto Nwanolue

Somto Nwanolue is a news writer with a keen eye for spotting trending news and crafting engaging stories. Her interests includes beauty, lifestyle and fashion. Her life’s passion is to bring information to the right audience in written medium

Related Stories

DOJ Sets Up $1.8B ‘Anti-Weaponization’ Fund After Trump Drops IRS Suit

DOJ Sets Up $1.8B ‘Anti-Weaponization’ Fund After Trump Drops IRS Suit

bySomto Nwanolue
0

The Justice Department has created a $1.776 billion fund to compensate people who claim they were unfairly targeted by the federal government. The deal came together after President...

​Inside the DOJ's Secret Raid on Georgia Election Workers

​Inside the DOJ’s Secret Raid on Georgia Election Workers

byEriki Joan Ugunushe
0

A coalition of major media organizations, including NBC News, has filed a formal motion to unseal hidden subpoenas and court filings related to the Department of Justice’s aggressive...

​Why the Supreme Court Reopened a Native American Voting War

​Why the Supreme Court Reopened a Native American Voting War

byEriki Joan Ugunushe
0

The U.S. Supreme Court has stepped into a massive fight over how Native American tribes protect their right to vote. By wiping out a controversial lower-court decision, the...

TSA Unveils New Public-Private Model For Airport Security

TSA Unveils New Public-Private Model For Airport Security

byAyobami Owolabi
0

The U.S. Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is introducing a new initiative called TSA Gold+, a public-private partnership designed to modernize airport security operations across selected airports in the...

Next Post
CAF Official Claims Morocco ‘Robbed’ in AFCON 2025 Final Defeat to Senegal

CAF Official Claims Morocco ‘Robbed’ in AFCON 2025 Final Defeat to Senegal

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

We bring to you precise and factual news

Recent Posts

  • DOJ Sets Up $1.8B ‘Anti-Weaponization’ Fund After Trump Drops IRS Suit
  • ​The Real Reason Baltimore is Running Out of Water
  • ​Inside the DOJ’s Secret Raid on Georgia Election Workers

Categories

  • Beauty
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion & Lifestyle
  • Food & Nutrition
  • Government
  • Health
  • News
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Tech

Weekly Newsletter

  • About
  • Advertise With Us
  • Cookie Policy

Copyright © FederalCharacter.com 2026 .

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
  • Fashion & Lifestyle
  • Food & Nutrition
  • Health

Copyright © FederalCharacter.com 2026 .