• Home
  • News
  • Government
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • About Federal Character
  • Advertise With Us
Federal Character
No Result
View All Result
Federal Character
  • Home
  • News
  • Government
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • About Federal Character
  • Advertise With Us
No Result
View All Result
Federal Character
No Result
View All Result
Home Entertainment
Inquest Into Chimamanda Adichie’s Son’s Death Stalled Over Missing Witness Statements

Inquest Into Chimamanda Adichie’s Son’s Death Stalled Over Missing Witness Statements

Ayobami OwolabibyAyobami Owolabi
4 months ago
in Entertainment
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
0
Facebook ShareWhatsapp ShareX Share

Proceedings in the inquest into the death of Nkanu Adichie-Esege, son of acclaimed author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, were halted on Tuesday after parties failed to comply with court directives.

The hearing, held at the JIC Taylor Courthouse in Igbosere, could not move forward as none of the involved parties filed or exchanged their witnesses’ statements as earlier agreed during the February 25, 2026 sitting.

Magistrate Atinuke Adetunji expressed displeasure over the delay, noting that the development disrupted the day’s proceedings.

“This matter was slated for evidence, but none of the parties has complied with the directive of this court to file and exchange witnesses’ statements on oath,” she said.

Inquest Into Chimamanda Adichie’s Son’s Death Stalled Over Missing Witness Statements
Euracare Multi-Specialist Hospital, which was expected to begin presenting its case, was represented by its lead counsel, Prof. Taiwo Osipitan (SAN), appearing for the first time. He argued that there had been no clear instruction on which party should file first.

“My Lord, there was no specific order as to who should file first,” he stated.

Osipitan also informed the court of plans to file an application requesting a postmortem examination to determine the cause of death, alongside a request for the release of the child’s medical records from his parents.

“We intend to bring an application for a postmortem examination and for the release of the deceased’s medical records, in the interest of fair hearing, before the hospital opens its case,” he added.

However, the coroner rejected the request, stressing that the issue of an autopsy had already been addressed in earlier proceedings.

“The issue of a postmortem has been considered by this court, and the law permits this inquest to proceed without same,” Adetunji ruled.

She further noted that Euracare’s legal team, having access to past records, could obtain any additional information through lawful channels without delaying the process.

“The counsel has access to the records of proceedings and may apply for any further information by way of subpoena or other lawful means without stalling this process,” she said.

The magistrate emphasised that the inquest must not be delayed, pointing out that its purpose is to uncover the truth and provide closure for the family.

“This court will not allow the proceedings to be stalled. The inquest is inquisitorial and not adversarial, and it is aimed at ascertaining the truth, helping the family heal, and preventing a recurrence,” she added.

Legal representatives for the Esege family and Atlantis Paediatric Hospital assured the court that their witnesses’ statements were ready and would be filed promptly, while counsel for the Lagos State Government noted that expert testimony would depend on the nature of evidence presented.

The case was subsequently adjourned to May 5 and 20, and June 3, 2026, for continuation.

Nkanu Adichie-Esege had been admitted to Euracare Hospital on January 6, 2026, after being referred from Atlantis Paediatric Hospital for urgent care. He passed away in the early hours of January 7.

Following the incident, the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria found a prima facie case of medical negligence against three doctors linked to the treatment.

Tags: Entertainmentfederal characterNewsNigeriaSon's Death.
Share235SendTweet147
Ayobami Owolabi

Ayobami Owolabi

Owolabi Ayobami is an emerging entertainment journalist, dedicated to delivering the latest scoop on Nollywood, music, and celebrity culture. With a keen eye for detail and a passion for storytelling, he brings fresh insights and perspectives to the entertainment beat.

Related Stories

929m Monthly Listeners: Burna Boy Pushes Afrobeats Further Onto Global Stage

929m Monthly Listeners: Burna Boy Pushes Afrobeats Further Onto Global Stage

byAyobami Owolabi
0

The global reach of Afrobeats continues to expand, with Nigerian music star Burna Boy reportedly achieving another major streaming milestone on YouTube Music. The singer is said to...

Rod Stewart Cancels US Tour After Routine Heart Stent Procedure at 81

Rod Stewart Cancels US Tour After Routine Heart Stent Procedure at 81

bySomto Nwanolue
0

Sir Rod Stewart has called off the remaining dates of his US tour after having what was described as a "routine" heart procedure. The 81-year-old singer has been...

Kidney Transplant Or Prison: John Gotti’s Grandson Faces Court Deadline

Kidney Transplant Or Prison: John Gotti’s Grandson Faces Court Deadline

byAyobami Owolabi
0

Carmine Agnello, the 39-year-old grandson of late Gambino crime boss John Gotti, has been given a difficult choice by a US federal judge: donate a kidney to his...

Drake Warns Rappers, References Roc Nation Subpoenas on Kick Stream

Drake Warns Rappers, References Roc Nation Subpoenas on Kick Stream

bySomto Nwanolue
0

Drake's return to Kick gave the internet plenty to chew on, including a reference to Roc Nation subpoenas and a stark warning to any rapper who wants to...

Next Post
How Fela’s ‘Zombie’ Became A Defining Protest Anthem Against Military Rule In Nigeria

Fela Kuti’s Global Legacy Grows With Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Honour

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Federal Character

We bring to you precise and factual news.
Towson, Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Recent Posts

  • Canada Braces For Trump’s Proposed 50% Tariffs As Aug. 19 Deadline Nears
  • Firm Linked To Trump Hush-Money Trial Judge Faces Prosecutors’ Probe
  • GOP Rep. Bacon Demands Oversight Amid Concerns Over USS Lincoln Conditions

Categories

  • Beauty
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion & Lifestyle
  • Food & Nutrition
  • Government
  • Health
  • News
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Tech

Weekly Newsletter

  • Home
  • About Federal Character
  • Advertise With Us
  • Cookie Policy
  • Sitemap

Copyright © FederalCharacter.com 2026 .

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Government
  • Business & Finance
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • About Federal Character
  • Advertise With Us

Copyright © FederalCharacter.com 2026 .