“We are bigger and better than that” – Fred Responds To Racial Abuse
Manchester United’s Brazilian midfielder Fred has responded to racial abuse targeted at him on social media.
Fred was racially violated in the comments section of his Instagram post after being at fault for Leicester’s first goal in United’s 3-1 FA Cup quarter-final defeat at the King Power Stadium.
The 28-year-old misplaced a back pass that totally expose goalkeeper Dean Henderson, before being rounded off by Kelechi Iheanacho in the 24th minute.
The midfielder responded to the abuse by posting on his Twitter and Instagram accounts on Monday night:
Social media comments filled with hate and, above all, racism: we cannot feed that culture. We cannot aceppt it. We have to fight it always. We are bigger and better than that. Enough! pic.twitter.com/bR2ibDms6k
— Fred Rodrigues (@Fred08oficial) March 22, 2021
WORLD CUP QUALIFIERS: Lukaku Set For International Duty With Belgium After Returning Negative Covid-19 Test
Image Credit: Reuters Photo
Inter Milan have cleared Romelu Lukaku for international duty with the Belgium national team squad after the striker’s Covid-19 test result returned negative following an outbreak at the club.
The Nerazzuri had initially prohibited their players from traveling for international duty after four of them, including goalkeeper Samir Handanovic, tested positive for coronavirus, leading to the postponement of Saturday’s Serie A match against Sassuolo.
Is Alonso On His Way To The Bundesliga?
Image Credit: Getty Images
Former Real Sociedad, Liverpool, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich midfielder Xabi Alonso has been offered the chance to kick-start his managerial career at Bundesliga side Borussia Monchengladbach, but has yet to make a decision on the move, according to Spanish football pundit Guillem Balague.
There were widespread reports on Monday that Alonso is set to leave his current position as manager of La Liga side Real Sociedad’s B team to take over the realms at Monchengladbach from the Borussia Dortmund-bound Marco Rose this summer, but Balague suggests the 39-year-old is not in a rush to take the next step in his coaching career, and could as well opt to stay at Sociedad and become first team manager, should the role become available.
Will Alonso be on his way to Borussia Monchengladbach this summer? Time will tell!
- Marcus Rashford and Erling Haaland have been valued as the most expensive footballers on the planet in a new study published by the CIES Football Observatory. (Daily Mail)
- Erling Haaland says he’s still some way off reaching the levels of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo and described the superstars as ‘the best players in history’. (Daily Mail)
- Jadon Sancho has reportedly flown to Dubai ahead of Borussia Dortmund’s Champions League clash with Manchester City to speed up his recovery from a muscle injury. (The Sun)
- Uefa is set to hold ballots to decide which fans will miss out on attending Euro 2020 matches this summer after accepting that stadiums are likely to be half-full at most. (The Times)
- The FA has received assurances from FIFA that England’s players will not be sanctioned if they take a knee ahead of this week’s World Cup Qualifiers. (Daily Mail)
- Arsenal believe Norway midfielder Martin Odegaard, 22, may be open to staying with them beyond the end of his loan spell from Real Madrid, which runs until the end of the season. (Times)
- France defender Raphael Varane says he would like to be joined by Paris St-Germain striker Kylian Mbappe, 22, at Real Madrid, a player he considers to be “one of the best in European football”. (Europe1 via Goal)
- Paris Saint-Germain are reportedly ready to rival Barcelona for Memphis Depay. (The Sun)
- Southampton striker Danny Ings, 28, could be a target for Manchester City as as a potential successor to Sergio Aguero. (Sky Sports)
- Liverpool could benefit if Southampton do sell Ings as the Reds inserted a 20% sell-on clause in the deal when they sold the England international to them. (Mirror)
- Inter Milan are considering a move for Liverpool’s Belgian striker Divock Origi, 25, to bolster their attacking line-up. (Calcio Mercato – in Italian)
- Barcelona have denied they have reached an agreement with Liverpool star Georginio Wijnaldum over a free transfer this summer, reports suggest. (Daily Express)
- Juventus midfielder Aaron Ramsey could be set to join Liverpool in the summer transfer window, according to reports. (Daily Express)
- Manchester United could offer 23-year-old midfielder Donny van de Beek as a makeweight in potential dealings this summer. (90 min)
- Newcastle United boss Steve Bruce is to give his players six days off, and some of his players are surprised the Magpies boss received support from the club as they battle relegation. (Mail)
- Zambia forward Patson Daka, 22, who has scored 20 goals in 18 games at Red Bull Salzburg this season, is attracting interest from Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool and Arsenal. (Mail)
- Brazil defender Thiago Silva, 36, is set to extend his contract with Chelsea by another year. (Express)
- Turkish side Galatasaray have offered Crystal Palace’s 30-year-old defender Patrick van Aanholt the chance to join them next season. (Mail)
- Steve Bruce has scheduled six days off from nine for his Newcastle squad despite the club being in crisis following the team’s surrender at Brighton on Saturday. (Daily Mail)
- Porto legend Paulo Futre was left furious after hearing reports that Chelsea players celebrated after being drawn against the Portuguese side in the Champions League. (Daily Mail)
- Everton have joined Manchester United in the race to sign Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly, according to reports. (The Sun)
SUPER EAGLES CAMP: Fans Barred From Attending First Training Session On Grass.
Image Credit: Brila Media
Ahead of their AFCON qualifier fixtures against Benin Republic and Lesotho, Nigeria’s senior men’s national team, the Super Eagles will observe their first training session on grass from 4:30 PM (local time) at the Teslim Balogun Stadium on Tuesday, and the Nigeria Football Federation in conjunction with team coach Gernot Rohr have recommended that fans be blocked from attending the session due to the COVID-19 protocols in place.
About 10,000 spectators will be allowed to witness the game proper when the Eagles square off against Lesotho to Tuesday, March 30, at 5PM local time.
NBBF Say Only the Best Will Represent Nigeria At The Tokyo 2020 Olympics
Image Credit: FIBA Photos
The Nigeria Basketball Federation (NBBF) has called on experts and fans from the country’s basketball fraternity to stop spreading rumours concerning foriegn players to be included in the teams for the Men and Women’s national teams heading to Tokyo for the 2020 Olympic Games.
A list of top NBA players have showed real interest in switching allegiance to represent Nigeria at international level, leading to widespread rumours about what the shape of the final 12-man roster heading to Tokyo would look like.
In response, the NBBF has announced that based on many factors ranging from technical, tactical setup of the coaches as well as unforeseen circumstances such as injuries, no player will be guaranteed an a spot on the rosters.
NBA: Rockets End 20-game Losing streak With 117-99 Win Over Raptors.
Image Credit: Scott Audette/NBAE via Getty Images
John Wall recorded his first triple-double in five years (19 points, 11 rebounds, 10 assists) as the Houston Rockets ended their 20-game losing streak with a 117-99 triumph over the Toronto Raptors.
“It’s indescribable for a win in March of this crazy season; I’m proud of the guys,” said Rockets head coach Stephen Silas after the game.
The longest losing streak is 28 games, matched twice (2014/15 and 2015/16) by the same team, the Philadelphia 76ers.
- Oklahoma City Thunder 112-103 Minnesota Timberwolves
- Charlotte Hornets 100-97 San Antonio Spurs
- Utah Jazz 120-95 Chicago Bulls
- Indiana Pacers 113-140 Milwaukee Bucks
- Toronto Raptors 99-117 Houston Rockets
- Boston Celtics 126-132 Memphis Grizzlies
- Atlanta Hawks 110-119 LA Clippers
What's Your Reaction?
Mubarak Mohammed Zakari He prefers to be known not as just a Sports Journalist; but as a "modern broadcaster" because of his ability to create content for visual, audio and print media. He co-hosts a football podcast with a growing audience from 17 countries across the globe.